Friday 6 August 2010

The Interclub


Start of the year, on the deep fry diet(don't do it)


This photo because the guy(the purchaser from previous rambling's) behind me throwing his hands in the air, payed out to win a race. I was told by a friend back home in New Zealand "don't hold a grudge, just get revenge"


Racing in Deinze, my adopted hometown


Michael and I in a race


Racing in Aarsele

Well it was hard, 155kms with 2 goes up the Kemmelberg(with about a 1km climb of normal road, then a bit of flat with the last couple of hundred meters very step and with cobbles) and about 8 other climbs.
The top teams were there Beveren and PWS amongst others, as well as the French elite amateur champ.
The race kicked of and it was pretty hectic from the the get go. Narrow roads, nervous people attacks and what not. I'll skip to the chase, I was feeling ok, but a bit tired when we got the second time up the Kemmelberg due to the fact the 185 rider bunch had been strung out in single file in the gutter for a good half hour. I will mention I was dropping off the wheel on more than 1 occasion but a very kind rider from the Bevern team decided that he would push me back to the wheel...3 times, It was much appreciated who ever he was.
So by the 2nd time we went over the Kemmelberg a strong group had gone off the front, and really I was not in the position to do anything about it. So that left Michael and I the last 2 isorex riders in the 2nd group, but our team car decided to go elsewhere and not join the convoy of team cars, so when I hit the pot hole of all pot holes and my front wheel blew to bits, i was left floundering around in the team cars wondering waiting wishing until the natural spare car came up beside me and offered me a drink bottle, I told them that wouldn't help but a front wheel would be lovely.

Back in the 2nd group now with new wheel. Rode in that group for the remainder of the race and ended finishing 41st, out of the 185 starters(105 riders abandoned the race). Note the first 3 riders in this race are all going Pro next year!
It was a day where i was happy to just finish as we rode the last 50km in what I would call more than damp conditions(it pissed down).

During the race I found my legs were tired and I didn't have that EXPLOSION that is necessary to be fighting for a top spot in these races, but I feel that I'm in good condition and look forward to the Tour of Antwerpen next Thursday(big 4 day Tour with the shortest stage 140km and the longest 180km). BUT, this is a BIG but... I found out this morning that my team have decided that they are NOT going to race it as some riders do Not want to............................. So yea, what can you do? Not much.

However, if we do not race that, then it will be Kermis races for the next few weeks. It's still great racing, but the Tour was something that I have been training and peaking for. And a good result there could help a lot. Its life.

Home in a month, looking forward to seeing the family, friends and New Zealand(no place like home they say). Going to ride the Tour of Southland, and my track bike over the NZ summer.

I have got some pictures from photographer Roland Desmet, he's at a race just about everyday of the week and has given me a bunch of different pictures from races so far this year. So thanks Roland.
I will put a few up here, as I like looking at pictures as they speak a thousand words(raaahaaahaa).

Im off for a ride now.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment