Saturday 21 August 2010

The latest

Here is a link to and Interview on me, from veloresults.co.uk

http://www.veloresults.co.uk/2010/08/17/ruaraidh-mcleod-first-win-in-belgium/


This is a photo from earlier in the year

Yes, so since last time I wrote it has been about 3 weeks.
I have been up to the same old shenanigan's since then, plus a bit more, not much more.
Yes, the team did pull out of the Tour of Antwerp, this means I am racing Kermeis race's for the remainder of the time here, we also had a big interclub on the 26th of August... same shit different day.

Saturday the 7th/Sunday the 8th. It was my Birthday, and my host family put on a party to celebrate Michael an I's 19th's plus a leaving party.
I was really fun. The friends that we have made came over and we had great time and ate some nice food. Did some awkward dancing with middle aged woman, ate cake and to much pudding. I think everyone a good time and I thank my host family very much for that.

It was Tueday the 10th, In Lovandegem, just out of the Gent. An Elite without contract/U23 race, these are normally what I race here, along with U23 races.
Break went up the road with Michael in it, so rode in the bunch for first 50kms, then the break came back, the rain came and the race sort of blew to bits, until there was about 6 of us left, including Mario Willims ( the Kermis shark, 17 wins so far this year). To be honest I wasn't feeling the greatest, so didn't get up to much. Last lap, the 6 were still together, the finish was on cobbles and a decent 1km section leading up to it, with 2 sharp corners. So last corner before the drag to the line, Mario goes in first, a Lithuanian decided that he would follow and hit the wet cobbles rather quick, he went down, I went off the road. Mario won, and I ended 5th.

Thursday the 12th, I'm 4 days into being a 19 year old. And you guessed it another race. In Belzele.
Same sort of race as the above, 90 starters this time. Michael and I had a fun time battling the GPS on the way to the race, I think the GPS won as it took us into the centre of Gent, lovely place... but not where we wanted to be.
So we get to the start and get signed on in time and basically roll up to the line. It was a narrow course with lots of corners. I a big bunch with lots of people, nothing was going to get away so, sat in until the split happened and managed to get in it. I think it was about 20-30 riders. In the end, 1 rider got away and stayed away by 23 seconds, with maybe 800 to go I had a go and managed to stay off the front of the break for 2nd. It was good, but it is nothing like getting the win.

Friday the 13th, nothing bad happened. Caught up with Clinton Avery and went for a ride with him. This was really cool. Really motivating seeing someone who has been over here for what has been 4 years now, and he's winning the biggest races over here, as well as getting stagaire rolls with the worlds biggest teams. Had a good chat with him and talked about what to get up to next year and lots more.

Sunday the 15th, Raced, but not really. I didn't see the end of the race. That sort of sums it up. Rather tired and couldn't really hide in the bunch on this windy day.

This week, had a really good week out on the bike as well as a few coffee stops with the Aussie's, English men, token South african and the crazy russian, well the crazy russian wasn't there this time, last time I saw him he sprayed a fire extinguisher in my face.

Racing tomorrow, then again next Friday in Holland, which is a crit. Then I will start packing and kick around for a few days.
Monday the 30th will be my last day here in Belgium for 2010, I think around lunch time I get on the plane and start the trip back HOME, which takes me to Zurich, LAX, Auckland and finally Christchurch then over the hill and far away to Governors Bay.

So that's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment